Opportunities at VISUAL: Galleries Co-ordinator and Curatorial Assistant (leave cover)
Galleries Co-ordinator and Curatorial Assistant (leave cover)
VISUAL is an iconic arts centre in the heart of Carlow, with four world-class gallery spaces and 335-seat performance space. As Ireland’s largest gallery space, VISUAL is rapidly developing a reputation for realising visual arts projects of a scale and ambition that are unparalleled elsewhere in Ireland. Our strategic objectives to 2021 are: to develop our audiences through inspiring, innovative and relevant artistic and engagement programmes based on excellence: to create value with and for our many communities of interest through realising the transformative benefits of the arts and creativity; and to contribute meaningfully to and develop the long term sustainability of the cultural sector, including VISUAL
The Galleries Co-ordinator and Curatorial Assistant is a key member of the of the core team, reporting to the CEO. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day administration and running of the exhibitions programme and events. As a key point of contact for the galleries, the successful candidate will have excellent communication skills.
The successful candidate will have:
• At least 2 years relevant work experience in the arts and cultural sector.
• Experience of administration/project management in contemporary visual arts exhibitions, projects and/or collaborations
• Budgetary planning and management experience
• Command of Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
• Third-level qualification in a relevant discipline
The following qualities will be required:
• A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Flexibility – some evening and weekend work will be required
• High self-motivation and ability to take initiative
• Excellent time management and strong work ethic
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• The ability to work as part of a team
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing day to day operations of the galleries, ensuring that the spaces are ready for the public and that exhibition displays are in full working order.
• Administering production and installation logistics for incoming and out going exhibitions, including transport of artworks.
• Managing the procedures for the care and storage of art works: condition reporting, loan forms, insurances, documentation of works.
• Assisting with the management of technical staff rosters and technical requirements for exhibitions.
• Managing itineraries and hospitality for visiting artists, technicians and curators.
• Liaising with Events and Hospitalities Manager on the logistics/requirements relating to events in the galleries.
• Administration of gallery related events, talks and lectures programme.
• Co-coordinating and reporting on gallery data relating to visitor numbers and attendance at events.
• Maintaining VISUAL’s archive of exhibitions information.
• Assisting in the administration of VISUAL’s engagement activities; including the early years, family, primary schools, senior cycle and gallery tours programme.
• Assisting with the production of exhibition information, signage and promotional materials
• Assisting with the volunteer gallery programme, including volunteer meetings, exhibition inductions and seasonal trips.
Other duties and obligations include:
• Acting as an ambassador and advocate in representing the centre
• Adhering to stated staff policies and procedures, as set down in the staff handbook
• Adhering to procedures relating to the proper use and care of equipment and materials for which the role has responsibility
• Participating in training and development programmes/courses to maintain and improve performance and to assist in identifying self-training and support needs
• Participating and working within a performance management development system process
• Any other reasonable duties or projects that may be required in the role, as assigned by the CEO
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Contract: 5 month contract, 3 days per week, €30,000 pro rata
Notice: One month’s notice is required.
Holidays: 20 days, pro rata
Please send a cover letter of no more than 1500 words outlining your suitability for the role and a current cv to email@example.com. Closing date is 5.30pm on 21st July 2017.