The Vanishing Ireland Project began in 2001 when writer Turtle Bunbury and photographer James Fennell began to interview people of senior vintage in and around their homes in County Carlow and Kildare.
In 2003, they embarked upon the first of many extensive tours of Ireland to chronicle a world that is rapidly disappearing. They have now produced three volumes of the ‘Vanishing Ireland’ series.
This exhibition brings to VISUAL six extraordinary characters from this series – all from Carlow, and two still with us - and for the first time in the history of this project, viewers of James Fennell’s photographs will be able to listen to recordings of the original audio interviews conducted by Turtle Bunbury.
- Nellie O'Toole (1908 - 2010) Nurse & Housekeeper, Rathvilly
- George Hawkins (Born 1914) Farmer, Ballyhackett
- Bob Murphy (1909- 2002) Gardener, Rathvilly
- Johnny Hutchinson (Born 1931) Horse Coper & Hunter, Borris
- Atty Dowling (1916-2005) Farm Labourer, Tobinstown
- Bill Burgess (1902-2007) Farmer & Amateur Jockey, Tobinstown