VISUAL would like to commission an artist working in any medium, architect or arts collective to create an art work for the exterior* of our iconic building.
This temporary work will be installed in March and remain for the period April - September. Proposals can be visual, sonic, text, performance, a combination - you decide!
We’re looking for a work that is ambitious and contextually responsive. We’re interested to view proposals that consider the relationship between human, natural and technological worlds and welcome proposals that reflect on the future of our social and ecological systems. Leaning hopefully towards the making of an open, inclusive, and positive future for all!
*The exterior of the building means the buildings facades, roof and front steps. VISUAL is a large light box. The exterior is made up of a series of glass panels with an led lighting system timed to come on in the dark, illuminating the building and site.
The call is for a temporary art work.The fabric of the building must remain intact. Terms and recommendations outlined below.
Please submit your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 26th of February 2021
VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art is one of Ireland’s leading contemporary art spaces, an iconic civic arts centre in Carlow Town in the east of Ireland. It comprises world-class gallery spaces and performance facilities.
We are committed to understanding and valuing our local contexts and to developing Carlow’s creative potential. Through art and art making we seek ways to explore the world, creating experiences which enrich, inspire and improve the everyday. We promote creativity and artistic practice as a means to explore and make issues public.
We are led by values which prioritise inclusion, dignity and kindness.
Artist Fee €3000
Production Budget €12,000
Total budget: €15,000
*The budget and payments to suppliers will be managed through VISUALs production management system.
Terms and recommendations:
- All works will be assessed by a panel of selectors which will include an architect, engineer and artist.
- Due to covid 19 the successful applicant or collective may not be able to do a site visit to VISUAL.
- The successful candidate or collective will have the full support of VISUAL’s Curatorial, Technical and Facilities Departments.
- All proposals will be risk assessed and subject to an engineer’s report if necessary.
- You are asked to provide a outlined budget which must include any technical equipment that you might need.
- We do not recommend proposing work that involves projectors. This work is to be installed for the summer months. Bright daylight and long summer days will be an impediment to the brightest and strongest of projectors.
- Proposals to use vinyl must specify environmentally friendly materials. We recommend Carlow Graphics CGL for or any vinyl work as they have experience of our building and installing at height. Please include cost of removal if working with vinyl.
- If intending to have something fabricated we recommend using suppliers in the Carlow region where possible.
- Outside of the building means the buildings facades, roof and front steps. VISUAL is a large light box. The exterior is made up of a series of glass panels with an led lighting system timed to come on in the dark, illuminating the building and site.
- Production for this project must begin March 10 and be complete by April 30. The work will be Installed and ready for the public by May 1st 2021.
- The call is for a temporary art work. The fabric of the building must remain intact.
Link to : Building Drawings, Photos and Sitemap
Link to: Application Instructions and Form