VISUAL, Online and at former Braun Site (11- 13 June)
Woman in the Machine, co-created by VISUAL and Carlow Arts Festival, unfolds through film, exhibitions, sound works, light installations, digital native events, a 360 virtual exhibition space, performances, talks and community engagement projects.
Woman in the Machine is presented in the galleries at VISUAL, at the former Braun Factory site and online.
Tickets for the experience at the former Braun site [11-13 June] are available to book for €5 from Wednesday 2 June at 12 noon at www.womaninthemachine.com
Included with this ticket:
- Access the grounds of the former Braun site to encounter live performers and experience the film 72 Hour Lost Weekend film - created onsite.
- Visit the exhibition including all commissioned works from Woman in the Machine, and the Braun archive at VISUAL.
Please note - due to Covid restrictions this ticket does not include access inside the factory at Braun. This is an outdoor experience, please wear weather appropriate clothing. There are no toilet facilities on site. We encourage attendees to walk to the site as parking is limited.
Duration: This is a 30 minute experience
The following are accessible without a ticket:
- Woman In The Machine exhibition at VISUAL including all commissioned works
- The Braun Archive at VISUAL where you can share you memories and memorabilia
- Access to our specially commissioned 360 Immersive interactive online Alt space
- Digitally native and sound work, music and film at www.womaninthemachine.com
- View a specially commissioned lighting up of the outside of the Braun factory
- Experience Engage with Architecture around the perimeter fence of the Braun site
See www.womaninthemachine.com for further details.
ARTWORKS 2021: Open Submission Exhibition and Art Prizes
This year’s ARTWORKS open call exhibition invited submissions by artists working at the intersections between art, science, technology and new media. This rich selection of artists’ work captures our current technological moment through electronic music, photography, film, painting and sculpture.
Selected Artists: Nadia Armstrong / Elaine Byrne / Caroline Campbell / Kate Fahey / Judy Foley / Fiona Harrington / Jeanette Lowe / Linda McCann / Colin Martin / Eleanor McCaughey / Fiona Mc Donald / Tara McGinn / Niamh McGuinne/ Ida Mitrani / Meadhbh O'Connor / Paul O 'Neill / Liliane Puthod / Amanda Rice / Katherine Sankey / George Bolster / Jennifer Moore / Sharon Phelan
Selectors for Artworks 2021; Kate Butler, Dublin Digital Radio; Rachel O’Dwyer, Lecturer in Digital Culture NCAD, Jo Mangan, Director Carlow Arts Festival and Emma Lucy O’Brien, Artistic Director, VISUAL.
Art prizes will be announced on Sunday 13 June.
Woman in the Machine is part of Carlow Arts Festival 2021, VISUAL’s Summer Programme and presented as part of Brightening Air | Coiscéim Coiligh, a nationwide, ten day season of arts experiences brought to you by the Arts Council. To see the full Brightening Air | Coiscéim Coiligh programme, visit www.brighteningair.com